Thursday, October 20, 2011

More Stories!

Fort Sam Houston- I noticed one soldier in a wheelchair hanging back but looking.  I went up to him, kneeled down and asked him if he would like to pick out a quilt.  He said ,"no, I got one when I first deployed and it has been with me through everything. And right now it sure is padding and warming my 'bottom!'  I asked, "why don't you get one to keep your body warm then?". "That would be nice", he replied. As there were alot of people around I asked him if he wanted me to find one for him.  I picked up one that he pointed at.  I put his name in it and my own little addition of ' Gods Blessings' We hugged and I thanked him for his service to our country. Even  though he may not ever use that leg again, his spirits were high and he was able to laugh and smile.

Fort Hood- I was one of the last of the ladies to go back out to the bus and I noticed a soldier that was sitting in a chair.  He was on crutches and I could tell that he was in pain.  I approached him and asked if he minded if I put him in my prayers.  He looked up at me with a look that I will never forget!  Gratefulness, lost, hurting.  And then he smiled and quietly said thank you.  I softly touched his shoulder and left.  And cried all the way to the bus! 

There were so many times when I would talk to a soldier and say thank you. The usual reply would be, 'Its my job, Maam ,you don't have to thank me!'. I would reply, 'No, thank you for your service and for my freedom!'  These quilts are our way of saying Thank You to the soldiers who have fought and been wounded. Comforting soldiers one quilt at a time! 

1 comment:

  1. Your stories about meeting the soldiers and seeing them pick out your quilts and how thankful they are bring tears to my eyes.
    Safe travels home ladies.

    Love you mom!

    Kelli H.
    St Paul MN

    ReplyDelete