Saturday, October 22, 2011

More Quilters' Stories!

Fort Sam-  I spent about three hours handing out quilts at the Warrior and Family Support Center.  I met a lot of wounded soldiers and some family members.  They were all so grateful and appreciative of what we were doing.  Some of the soldiers were more willing to tallk than others.  One fella in his thirties stands out in my mind.  Before this, in a tour of the center, Mr Wolf, the coordinator, told us how important it is that the soldiers get out of their rooms as this helps to prevent depression.  This soldier had been through surgery and was almost blind but he came back to the center and to our table four times.  He told us of how he had to get out of his room and see people.  He told me that he would probably have to leave the military and he didn't know what he would do.  He asked my name and called me by name twice after that as he would leave the building.  He just needed someone to talk to and to listen to him and it seemed that he enjoyed just visiting.  I will never forget him.  He just needed someone to listen.  Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment