Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fort Sam-  While having lunch in the mess hall a medivac nurse stop at our table.She expressed to us how much the wounded warriors appreciate the time and effort put into making and delivering the quilts as they return home from the war zone. We appreciate remarks like that of course, but we are the ones, with these quilts, that are saying Thank You to our service men and women!

I was so amazed at the loyalty the injured soldiers had for their fellow soldiers while being separated from them.  A young man that I visited with was losing his sight from an undiagnosed problem.  When I offered to pray that a diagnoses and treatment would happen soon he said that he wasn't concerned about himself but for the squadron he had to leave behind.  Dee


 I spoke with a 23 year old soldier (only 2 years older than my grandson!).  He was recovering from a broken arm, shrapnal injuries, neck and spinal injuries.  He had been deployed three times and couldn't wait to go again!  When I sommented about how fast he had to grow up being in the service he replied, "our bodies sure do grow old fast!"          Doris

When we were passing out the quilts there was a tall soldier standing way off to the side.  I went over and taalked with him.  He didn't think that he was worthy of a quilt.  He spoke very quietly.  I explained that we had made one just for him. Then he started tallking.  He was so happy to pick out 'his' quilt.  It was a very patriotic quilt and talked about it quite a bit.  He left happy!   Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment