Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fort Hood- I was talking to one of the soldiers, and in the course of our conversation, I said that he looked too young to have spent quite a few years in the service.  I asked him if he minded if I asked him his age and he told me and that his birthday was today!  All the ladies from QOV sang Happy Birthday to him!  That was very special!  I suppose that maybe I got too personal with some but they seemed to respond. 
Fort Sam-  One of the soldiers was telling me about the scars on his face and how they had to dig out pieces of metal.  They had actually healed very nicely so I just touched his face and said, "You really look very good and you have the most beautiful blue eyes."  He replied  "Its so kind of you to say that Ma'am."  (Everybody said  ma'am but with their southern drawl.)
Another young man was eating cake alone at a table so I took my cup of coffee over and asked if I could join him. We had a wonderful time talking and I invited him to come over after he was done and pick out a quilt.  Luckily, a bit later, I saw him standing over by the door, not knowing, I think, if he should come over to the table, so I went over to him.  I greeted him by his name, Brent.  He did  go over and pick out a quilt. We hugged!
I met another young fellow from Oklahoma and so I gave him a bad time about the rivalry between Nebraska, my home state, and Oklahoma.  It was all in fun and we both enjoyed the banter!

No comments:

Post a Comment